Sunday, December 7, 2008

First...

The last couple of weeks we have experienced a few "firsts"...
- Logan had his first ear infection. I must say it was one of his most pitiful moments so far. Since he has never had an ear infection before, I just thought it was a virus and didn't take him to the doctor for two days (is that bad?) because I just thought it was a virus that would pass like everything else he has had. He just wanted to be held and was so lethargic. His temperature got up to 103 degrees so I gave him some tylenol and put him to bed. I called my brother, who is a doctor, and asked him for his advice and he said to wake him up and take him to the doctor. It was SO sad waking him up when he is sick and sound asleep at night but we didn't want him to get worse in the middle of the night. So we took him to the doctor and within seconds, he was diagnosed with an ear infection and given a prescription and then within 48 hours he was all better. You gotta love modern medicine!!
- Logan is now saying "horse" and "uh-oh". Jared's parents have a neighbor who owns a horse and it stays just on the other side of the fence in their yard, so every time we go over there, Jared's dad will take Logan over to see the horse. Well a week or so ago as soon as we got to his parents, Logan pointed outside and said "horse", well, he says "orse" but he says it so clearly...it is so cute!!
- A greasy Thanksgiving dinner. We celebrated Thanksgiving with Jared's family on Wednesday (a day early) because his sister was in town and she was spending Thanksgiving Day with her in-laws. The rest of the Alder family planned on going to Eastern Arizona and spend Thanksgiving Day with Jared's extended family. Wednesday was great and we ate a ton of yummy food!! However the next day, Thanksgiving, is when Logan was still sick with his ear infection so we felt bad driving through the mountains to Eastern Arizona plus there and back in one day would be a 5 hour car ride. So we decided to skip out but the rest of Jared's family still went. So that left our little family of three all alone for Thanksgiving dinner. We had left overs for lunch, so we were pretty turkey-ed out by dinner time. We thought "Oh, we'll just go grab something out, it will be fun". Well, not so much. I have never not been with family on Thanksgiving so I never noticed but there is NOTHING open on Thanksgiving for dinner. I mean NOTHING. Finally after driving around and being starving, we saw a 24 hour fast food restaurant that was open and so THAT is where we had Thanksgiving dinner. Sadly enough there were other people eating there who weren't with family and so it really made me think about how lucky I am to have close family. There are so many people out there who are all alone! To be honest, it was probably the worst food I have ever had for Thanksgiving but at least I was with loved ones and there were a million other things to be thankful for and at least we had technically already had our turkey dinner:)
- A half decorated Christmas tree. Yes we've come to the time where the little guy in the house un-decorates the tree if there are any decorations within arms reach. It's not a fortunate time to have a child that is off the charts for his height! Only about the top two feet of our tree has ornaments. Oh well. I would much rather have him around than a fully decorated Christmas tree!

Jared's sister Amy was out here with her family for Thanksgiving and it was so fun to have them here. Logan LOVED playing with his cousins!! It is sad that none of his first cousins on either side live in Arizona, and so ironic that they all live in Kentucky, even the ones on the Alder side! Now that his cousins are all gone I think he is probably sad being alone again all day with boring mommy!! Here are just a few pictures I took...I should have taken more.

This is Logan's cousin Samuel. Samuel is only two months older than Logan. I loved this picture because it looked like they were really having a conversation!














Having lots of fun!














The Alder boys: Grant (Amy's husband), Grant and Amy's son Noah, Mike (Jared's dad), Lance (Jared's brother), and Jared and Logan.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I can totally relate to trying to eat Thanksgiving dinner "out." A couple years ago a friend and I went to Philly for their Thanksgiving day parade! Very cool but the only thing open in the whole city were dunkin' donuts (there is one on every corner and it seems like they are all run by Indian families); Even McDonalds was closed. Luckily we found some hamburger joint on the way back to Charlottesville that had some families there as well--we felt sad for them. Then last year I was in the hospital over Thanksgiving (for my Crohns) and Mike was trying to find somewhere to eat. The only place open was Boston Market which he ended up eating for lunch and dinner--kind of over kill. I am glad you got a real dinner the day before! (Wow this is a long comment) (:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

K cute pictures, they really do look like they're having a conversation! You should've called on T-day. You totally could've eaten w/ us!

Laura said...

Oh wow! This is such a cute blog. I haven't seen all these people in forever!!1 I worked for Jared's dad in high school, my parents bought my first car from him too! I miss Amy so much. Tell the whole family hi for me. Hope we can keep in touch!

Tiffany said...

How fun that Logan is saying all those new words now!!! I bet that is so exciting for you guys! ;)