Wednesday, June 11, 2008

advice anyone?

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Our camera broke and so I haven't been able to take any new pictures. Hopefully we will get another one soon. In the meantime, I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on the whole sleeping thing with babies. Logan used to be great about going to sleep and sleeping through the night but not anymore. I don't know what happened. Anyways, to put him to sleep takes a lot of effort unless he is just dead tired and he is still waking up in the middle of the night. Usually only once so it's not that big of a deal but I hear they should sleep through the whole night at this point. I know there is that book "Baby Wise" out there but I haven't read it. Has everyone else used that and used the "just letting their baby cry it out" method? I have tried but it is so hard to just let him cry and cry and cry. I know I'm a wimp but I'm new at this:) Anyways, just wanted to see how everyone else does it and if the only option is to let them cry themselves to sleep...

6 comments:

Amy said...

NO FUN!!! YOu know I was the "what not to do with a baby that won't sleep mom of the world" with COnner, but with each one, I realized more and more how much I needed sleep (I am getting old you know.). ANyhow, as hard as it is for me (not hard for Grant at all by the way) to let them cry, it really is how they learn to calm themselves and fall asleep by themselves. My docs have always told me that even if he falls asleep while you are rocking him, etc, to arouse him just a little in his bed before you leave so he knows you are not there when he falls asleep.

With Conner, I sang every primary song, hymn song, EVERY night. IT was an hour, at least, long process, but with one I loved it and I could do it - that was UNTIL Abigail came along. THe poor kid COULD not fall asleep on his own and even when he rolled over in the night he would wake up because he would realize I wasn't there. So, I was up with him 6 times until he was 2. I know, mother of the year right here!! ANyhow, by the time poor Noah and Sam came, it was sleep through the night or cry through the night - I need some rest. Sometimes, if Sam gets crying when I leave, I will just stand over him with my hand on his chest and as he drifts off, then I leave.

So, was that advice or my confession blog - not sure, but there you have it. YOu can learn from my mistakes.

We love you!! AMy

The Fischer Family said...

Every kid is different, and unfortunately what works for one won't work for another! I did everything wrong with Andrew and I am paying for it now, not only with going to bed but behavior in general. I did the baby wise thing with Matthew (I modified it a little to meet our needs) and he does sleep great. We just lay him down and walk out. We could never do that with Drew-- but crying bothered me a lot more then! I am a lot tougher these days. As a matter of fact, if I hear Matthew before 7 am, too bad! I refuse to get him out of that bed until 7 :) I say to try the crying thing, but to be aware of his cries. I can tell when Matthew is just crying because he wants comfort or crying because he is in pain. If he isn't crying hysterically, I would just leave him. It only takes a few nights of tough love and he will learn. Let's face it-- none of us really know what we are doing. As soon as you get one kid figured out, they change things up on you. Whatever method you decide to do, stick with it, nothing will be easy and all good things (like sleep) take time!!!!

Aleia said...

You poor thing! My advice... tough love! I finally used the "cry it out" method with Jaylee and our whole family sleeps better now! I only wish I would have done it with Faith because she still has crazy sleeping patterns and shes 5. Good luck!

Becky Rogers said...

That is so hard. Brody went through that exact same thing around ten months. I tried everything and Laurie Young (great mother of 8) told me that you need your rest in order to do your best as a mom and to let them cry it out. Sure enough two nights of it and he went back to his old schedule. Now, I only allow him one wake up a night(usually doesn't happen) but more than one and I let him cry a little. Good luck!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Yes, the great mother of 8 is right! Let him fuss it out is my theory. It's hard, I know. I am doing babywise (check my blog...funny that you are thinking about it.) and am loving it. It's only been about a week and we've already eliminated the 1:00 feeding, and she goes to bed at night right away. I sind her 2 songs and say prayers w/ her and then lay her down awake. She cried the first few nights (for like 30 min.) but now she knows the routine and just goes to sleep. Sometimes if she cries really hard I will go in and love on her for a second but then put her right back down. My advice, let him cry for a few nights and see what happens. But...all kids are different so who knows. Let me know how it goes! Good luck. Sorry for the long post.

Amber Larsen said...

I would definitely let him cry it out. It's hard but totally worth it in the long run. I did that with Kinsey and it only took 2 nights then she slept great through the night. It also helped her go down for a nap easier. It's going to rip your heart out : (