Sunday, May 3, 2009

Home Sweet Home

We just got back from a wonderful 10 day trip to good 'ole Kentucky and I must say home really is where the heart is. Even though it's been almost 8 years since I've lived there, it still feels like home. My parents still live in the same house I grew up in and so it just feels so familiar and wonderful! We all had such a great time. It was so great to be able to see the family and my good friends and also to watch Logan interact with them all and play with his cousins. Last time we saw my family he had a serious case of stranger danger and never really interacting with them very well and was very clingy to me. I was so disappointed and was worried that would be the case this time too. Fortunately, he did great! He warmed up to everyone pretty quickly and especially loved his cousins. The first few days after we got back if I mentioned anyone's name in my family he would perk up and act all excited. Cute, but so sad. We had our share of rough moments: plane ride out there it was just me and Logan and he leaked through his diaper and got me completely soaked since I was holding him. It was a really late flight too and he wouldn't sleep so he got really grouchy and cried like the last 20 minutes off and on (could have been worse) but there were some angry passengers including a very mean man that decided to yell at me because of it. Seriously!!?? Do you not think I want my kid to stop crying too? Obviously I'm doing everything I can and really what type of person yells at a stranger in public anyways, let alone a mother traveling all alone 7 months pregnant trying to take care of a toddler. I don't get it. But anyways, Logan also got sick for a few days towards the end of the trip and so it made for some rough nights but man oh man it's moments like these that I really realize how much I love my mom. Every time Logan would get sick in the middle of the night and throw up my mom would come in and help me change the sheets and change him and get me whatever I needed (Jared wasn't there yet to help me - usually he is a big help too). Sheesh being a mom would be a whole lot easier if she were around all the time!! So I guess even though it was the pits having him sick on the trip, at least I had lots of help! He was feeling much better by the time we left and flew home so that was good. He was an angel on the flight home. Besides the few rough patches which were few and far between, we had a great time! We got to meet my sister's baby Campbell for the first time also while we were there and I must say she is a cutie. I hardly ever heard her make a peep, mostly she just watched everything that went on and was so smiley. If you make eye contact with her there is a pretty good chance you are going to get a great big smile in return! It was even more sad to leave this time because I'm not sure when we will be back. It's always harder when you don't have another trip planned to look forward too. Thank heavens most of my family will be out here this summer to visit once the baby comes!
Here are all of Logan's cousins on my side of the family: Zachary (Amy's), Donavin (Melanie's), Haley (Amy's), Madalyn is up front (Amy's), then Heather holding her and my brother Kevin's baby John, Kevin holding my sister Amy's baby Campbell, and then me and Logan.













One of the first mornings we were there Logan rode on Grandpa's shoulders and went for a walk with Kevin and baby John around the backyard. Logan loved to explore the backyard since it's much different scenery than he is used to. As you can see, the trees weren't green yet but it was just starting to blossom. I love this time of year. By the way, they are in this picture but they are so far away they kind of blend in with the trees.














Logan and his cousin John (Kevin's baby). They are almost exactly a year apart:














Logan loved riding this toy tigger with his cousin Donavin. You are supposed to rock back and forth but that must've been too boring for them. I guess it was much more fun to just fall over sideways and crash into the floor and on top of each other. Boys will be boys.













I got a chance to visit with all my best friends that I have been friends with forever! Some of them I didn't have a camera around or batteries died but at least I was able to capture this visit with a few of them. This is Sarah holding her son Andrew, Me and Logan, Kelly and her daughter Cate, and Melissa holding Sarah's other son Matthew.














My friend Sarah was nice enough to let us use some of her zoo passes to visit the zoo while we were there. Along with Sarah, my friends Kelly and Maggie came too. It was a good day! Here we are at the zoo although I have no idea what animal we are in front of. My friend Kelly's daughter couldn't resist joining in on the picture.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Glad you had such a fun trip with your family! :) Cute pics! I cannot believe that story about the man yelling at you on the plane...makes me scared to travel with our baby someday soon!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Love that green grass. It's so pretty out there. Very cute pictures, and I'da given that man the bird.

Emily said...

So fun!! I'm glad you got to go! I can't believe all your nieces and nephews! Wow!

Jason and Kate said...

I love your "Ole Kentucky Home" too! Your backyard never ceases to amaze me. So, I would've probably swore at that man and agree with Marianne that he deserved the bird. Obviously he has never had kids or wants them either. You probably went for Thunder. One of these days I'll make it there too!:) I did miss your Derby party though.

Amy said...

SOunds like a great trip Debbie! You are right - this is the best time of year out here. I am sorry about the crazy man on the plane. The last time I had someone act like that to me on a plane, I held Abigail out to the man while she was SCREAMING and told him to be my guest if he thought he could do better. That was the end of it. Give me a break. If you can't handle screaming babies, don't fly COACH on SOUTHWEST!! You can only have that kind of attitude if you are on another airline and you paid for first class right?? Love you guys!! Glad it was fuN! xoxo

Amber Larsen said...

That looks like so much fun. I know what you mean about going home, I always feel the same way. You don't realize how much you miss it until you go back! All those trees look amazing! Man, plane rides with kids are just NOT FUN!! But, I'm glad you had a good trip!