Sunday, January 27, 2013

The rest of summer

So I guess there were a few other things from summer I forgot to put on here besides just going to the beach.   Here are some random pictures from other things we did in the summer.
Daddy took the kids fishing a lot and a few times in the back yard at Grandma and Grandpa's.  I went outside and found them pleased as peaches about digging up worms:
Who knew worms could make you so happy?  
 This is a pretty regular thing around here.  Savannah is obsessed with brushing hair and putting pretend makeup on me.  She is so happy if I will sit and let her brush my hair or use crayons to put makeup on my face.  Thank heavens they don't really make marks. Gotta love the kids poses in this pic:)

 Logan completed his first swim lesson this past summer.  He loved it.  It was the first swim lesson I had ever been to so I didn't know what to expect. We just signed up for the class at the local YMCA.  In the beginning I was a little disappointed in the program but I think my expectations were a little high regarding what they would teach at this age or the individual attention they would be able to give but in the end, at the end of the course, Logan was able to "swim" (more like doggie paddle) from one side of the pool to the other and so I was happy.  He was getting so good at swimming by the end of the summer after lots of practice in Grandma and Grandpa's pool and going to the beach. I think he will be really good by the end of next summer.


And when a parent realizes that the house is way too quiet and goes to check on their kids, who doesn't love to find them playing together in a bed, giggling, and happy as can be! Melt my heart.
And we got a good taste of Kentucky history but visiting Squire Boone Caverns.  I have memories of going here on a field trip in elementary school and loving it but hadn't been back since.  We had so much fun. I guess this is where Daniel Boone's brother, Squire Boone, settled with his family.  It is was about a 40 minute drive from our house.  Here was the old mill that they used.  It was absolutely beautiful.  It kind of rained on and off that day and so it was misty and made it that much prettier.  We had a blast walking around playing in the creek bed and seeing the old buildings.  As you walk around the settlement you can see people in each of the different building doing the things people had to do by hand back then.  Very interesting and fun for kids.  

 
Behind us is the tiny spot at the beginning of the creek where they say Squire Boone discovered the entrance to the cave when he was running from Indians.  
 Poor Logan.  Jared really wanted a picture of him in a coon-skin (is that how you say and spell that?!) hat because he thought it was so hilarious.  Logan didn't really love it at all.
 Down inside the caves.  Glad the kids weren't scared.  I wasn't sure if they would be since they had never gone in a cave before but they loved it.  As you can see from the next three pictures, this is right around the time when Savannah decided she would smile and say cheese and pose for pictures.  I love it:)


 More pics of inside the cave.

 Playing on the playground.






No comments: